Reuters is seeking an experienced reporter with a proven track record of breaking news and developing enterprise stories to cover the important and sprawling mining sector in Latin America. The role would involve covering a key mining region that is home to the world’s top producers of copper and vast reserves of lithium, key metals for electrification, as well as Brazil-based iron ore and nickel giant Vale. The race to secure metals for the energy transition makes Latin America a crucial story where geopolitics, corporate maneuvering and resource nationalism meet.
We want someone who can drive our coverage in the region, coordinating with other beat reporters, to ensure we are fast and accurate on key breaking news, as well as spearheading ambitious story ideas to take our coverage deep inside the sector from business strategies to impacts on the environment and indigenous tensions. The successful candidate would be based in Santiago, Chile or Lima, Peru, but would have a mandate for travel to other regional mining hotspots. We are seeking someone with an ability to develop sources, breaking regular exclusive news and who has a flair for writing.
The Correspondent should have the attention to detail and speed to cover fast-paced breaking stories – and the ability to deliver insightful big-picture stories, explaining complex topics to readers around the world.
In the role, you will:
- Have the writing and reporting ability to deliver deeper stories swiftly and cope with fast-paced breaking news
- Develop sources to break news on mining in Chile, Peru and Brazil as well as building up networks in Bolivia, Argentina, Colombia and beyond.
- Have the ability to elevate copy from stringers and mentor more junior members of the team
- Work closely with visuals colleagues in identifying and delivering strong story packages for reuters.com and media clients
The preferred candidate to be our Latin American Mining Correspondent will have:
- At least 5 years in journalism
- Fluent spoken and written English; and strong to fluent Spanish
- Portuguese would be a plus, but not mandatory
- Experience in covering business and economics
- The enthusiasm, drive and ability to think outside the box
- The skills to produce deeply reported, impactful enterprise journalism that illuminates complex topics
- The capacity and ambition to help lead a team
To apply, go here.