Reuters is looking for a U.S. Business of Space Correspondent to dig into the booming corporate and government space race. At stake are riches, egos and potentially the colonization of Mars. Billionaires Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos and Richard Branson are the faces of the new private side, pitting SpaceX, Blue Origin and Virgin Galactic and a range of start-ups against an old guard including Boeing. Meanwhile, NASA has announced its own, multibillion-dollar effort to return America to the moon.
This U.S. Business of Space Correspondent will cover the business of launching objects into space, space tourism and the competition to build satellite-based communications systems. This beat is more about industry than science, but the successful reporter will delve into the technological details and understand the players’ different engineering and marketing strategies. A hunger for scoops and a desire to work with multimedia teams is a must. Key news to break will include big deals, technological problems and advances and moves of key engineers and, of course, the next steps in the unfolding battle of the billionaires.
About The Role
As U.S. Business of Space Correspondent, you will:
- Develop a wide range of sources on the beat
- Break exclusive news that rivals must follow
- Lead and/or reinforce coverage of major news that is breaking in the sector
- Report aggressively to develop ideas that will lead to deeper stories
- Demonstrate beat expertise and dominance
- Work with multimedia teams to showcase your reporting across all Reuters platforms
You’re a fit for the role of U.S. Business of Space Correspondent, if you likely have:
- Fluency in business reporting and writing, with a record of breaking news
- An understanding of rocket science and satellite communications
- Sourcing in the rocket, satellite and NASA communities or a demonstrated ability to make sources in other fields
- Ability to understand and dissect corporate disclosures
- Demonstrated ability to multitask in a fast-moving, high-pressure environment
- Excellent news judgment
- At least 3 years’ experience reporting at a major news organization, or the equivalent
To apply, go here.