Rest of World seeks a deputy editor
Rest of World is an international journalism publication focused on exploring the impact of technology beyond the Western bubble. Our goal is to surface and showcase the often surprising and unintended effects of tech in places that get little attention from mainstream news outlets.
Since launching last year, Rest of World has published over 150 stories from (and on) 51 countries. Through compelling storytelling and fresh, innovative design, our stories explore the spaces where tech, culture and human experience collide. We are a mission-driven nonprofit startup that aims to push forward our understanding of technology’s role in rapidly changing cultures.
Rest of World is looking for an energetic, enterprising and digitally savvy deputy editor to oversee the construction of our most ambitious stories, ensuring that our journalism continues to reveal something unique to our readers.
The ideal candidate in this role will be a seasoned editor who, in addition to elevating the quality of our stories, will advise and support the executive editor in crafting an ambitious editorial strategy for the publication’s future. The person will have solid experience editing magazine stories and is confident injecting the mechanics—and business—of tech clearly in our stories for readers. This position reports to our executive editor.
- Set a high standard for quality of stories, leading top edits, especially on feature-length and longform stories
- Oversee the editorial operation for stories assigned, from start to finish
- Build relationships with freelance writers and commission ambitious stories
- Brainstorm and plan for recurring or special series, either on a particular theme from around the world or working on a specific region with the regional editors
- Keep editors motivated and accountable to high editorial standards, both in producing top quality work and being a team player by following the processes
- Position Rest of World for success by seeking and implementing lessons for editorial and audience growth
- Maintain Rest of World’s editorial standards and ethics
- At least 5-8 years of experience editing stories for a leading publication in the US or abroad
- Be cognizant of and thoughtful about the Western gaze in a story’s framing; able to collaborate with editors to ensure the story reflects Rest of World’s ethos
- Ability to communicate effectively and in an organized manner, so the production process works smoothly
- Experience managing writers/editors in previous positions
This will be one of the two deputy editor roles at the publication, and along with the co-deputy editor, this editor will share knowledge and individual strengths to find a working rhythm as a pair. This role will require managing a group of senior editors.
The position will be based in New York.
To apply, please send a resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Deputy Editor” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please share at least two longer stories published by Rest of World you recently read, and tell us what you would change in the final edits.