Rent Responsibly is looking for writers
Rent Responsibly is hiring a freelance journalist to cover regulatory news with up to four articles per month.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Rent Responsibly is a community building and education platform for local short-term and vacation rental alliances. Our tools and alliance management services equip local leaders to build successful, self-sustaining organizations of owners, hosts, property managers, and all other stakeholders. We make it easy for leaders and members to connect, collaborate, solve common challenges, advocate for themselves, steward their communities, and rent responsibly.
ABOUT THE ROLE
These articles will:
- Primarily cover news from regulatory discussions or actions in local markets, as well as state, regional or national trends.
- Serve a primary audience of professional vacation rental management companies and a secondary audience of all short-term rental operator types and adjacent businesses.
- Be around 800 words long, though occasional pieces may be longer.
- Be published on a vacation rental property management industry news website as well as RentResponsibly.org.
- Be mostly bylined by the author as a journalist for Rent Responsibly with occasional pieces ghostwritten or written in collaboration with others.
- Have topics jointly identified by the writer and Rent Responsibly COO Alexa Nota, who will serve as editor for this role.
The ideal candidate will also be able to produce a video summary of select articles using clips from the recorded interviews, stock b-roll, and text.
- Conduct all research and necessary interviews. You will be responsible for sourcing leads, but Rent Responsibly staff will often be able to connect you with sources in our network.
- Research subjects and topics thoroughly.
- Draft well written, fact-checked, and expertly proofed articles.
- Record interviews and submit recordings for potential future use in multimedia pieces.
- Submit all articles and video summaries on deadline.
- You love to write. It’s how you best express yourself, and your written communication is second to none. You naturally make complex topics simple, and you can balance journalistic integrity with engaging storytelling.
- You have professional experience in written journalism – bonus points for professional experience in both news and feature writing.
- You have enjoy interviewing people for stories and don’t shy away from digging for answers or adjusting your story plan on the fly.
- You get to know your audiences and can adapt your writing style to meet them where they are.
- You have supreme attention to detail.
- You love finding the right word or phrase, but you don’t let perfection get in the way of producing quality work on deadline.
- You are self-driven and adept at managing your time. You can juggle projects and shuffle priorities flexibly with little oversight.
- You are versed in Chicago Style.
- You have at least a basic understanding of how laws are made at the local and state levels.
WHAT TO INCLUDE IN SUBMISSION
- A brief explanation why your experience, skills, and qualities make you a good fit
- A brief summary of your resume
- Links to three samples of published work most relevant to this contract
- $200-$300 per articleThe volume of articles will most often range from two to four articles per month and will be about 800 words on average. Occasionally, longer-form pieces will be requested.
- 600-1000 words: $200
- 1001-1500 words: $250
- 1501-2000 words: $300
+ Video summaries (up to 2 minutes) with select pre-determined articles: $60/video
For more information, visit their website.
Email all questions and submissions to hiring@