Recode is looking for a staff reporter to aggressively cover Silicon Valley finance, deals, and startups, based in our San Francisco office.
Your job will be to follow the money — and its human handlers — in Silicon Valley, San Francisco, and beyond. (And there’s a lot to follow!)
What’s this week’s hot deal? Who’s buying and selling? Whose business is working or failing? Who lost which deal? Who’s offering new special-purpose vehicles? Whose burn rate is too high? Who’s herding talent? Who’s being creative with their fundraising — or “creative” with their numbers?
This job is not about writing up startup funding announcements or parroting PR fluff. It’s about learning, reporting, analyzing, and explaining how money is moving around Silicon Valley, and finding the next big thing before it’s obvious.
A good candidate will have either have a background in journalism, finance, or law. An ideal candidate will have experience in more than one of those categories.
- At least some experience in journalism, finance, or law.
- The ability to deliver clean, accurate copy on deadline.
- An interest in obsessively covering Silicon Valley finance and startups.
- Comfort with data, math, spreadsheets, and charts.
- Attention to detail.
- The ability to work mostly independently, with support and input from editors and colleagues.
- A creative, collaborative spirit, comfort trying new ideas, knowing some won’t work.
- The ability to work from our San Francisco office most days.
- Some evening and weekend work.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, samples of your work, and a link to an online presence — blog, podcast, Twitter stream, etc. — that you’re proud of.
To apply, go here.