A position has opened at The Queens Ledger / Brooklyn Star News Group for a community reporter. It requires an organized, motivated journalist to lead its community news coverage in areas of Brooklyn & Queens NY. The office is in Woodside, Queens.
Here you will be writing news, covering events, being in on political endorsement interviews, aggregating news for our daily newsletter and profiling movers & shakers in many of our communities. With a brand that has covered the news for more than a century, our stories have impact. This poition can be done for someone just our of school. We will teach you our digital platforms.
You will need to have variety of skills including writing, curating, some design, photography and proficiency in social media.
We study and value consumer behavior of our content to build upon the trust they have for our news. We build on a flexible print and digital strategy so we can filter information to them on news and information they need, want and trust.
Key Factors in doing this job:
- Strong news judgment and editing skills on the web is quite different than in print. You need to be knowledgeable and aware of the differences.
- Be able to execute plans for digital news growth and social media growth.
- Being able to collaborate with all teams (editorial, marketing, distribution) to develop an engagement strategy that ensures growth, such as newsletters, social media, in-person engagement strategies, polls and more.
- Own and foster relationships across the community so you get news that our sites can put out in a ‘real-news’ way. That means having the ability to use freelancers to help achieve goals.
- Indesign, familiarity with wordpress and other CMS platforms
- Understanding of social media / news site context
Office is in Woodside, Queens – just steps from the 7 train.
Salary to start 35K + travel +
Raises start in 6 months, we are looking to hire immediately.
apply to email@example.com
If you indeed have experience in leading an editorial staff, apply, and we can have a discussion on a different level. This leader has experience and can teach the staff reporter and community contributors how improve their planning, sourcing, reporting and writing, while carrying out a strategy to grow our reach both digitally and in print.
For more details click here.