Quartz aims to provide business professionals worldwide with reporting and analysis of the highest level of intelligence and creativity. It aims to cover the most essential—and most interesting—developments, providing context and meaning to help efficiently process the news. Rather than providing comprehensive coverage we concentrate our reporting around a constantly evolving set of key “obsessions”—large-scale themes that represent the seismic shifts going on in the global economy, and which serve as touchstones for our readers.
Quartz, the global business news site from the Atlantic Media Company, seeks a reporter to lead its coverage of finance news worldwide, based in its New York headquarters.
As Quartz’s finance reporter, you will identify and develop your own obsessions around the trends affecting the financial industry globally, and deliver a mix of feature reporting, scoops, and fast-paced blogging on those topics, as well as covering significant day-to-day news made by finance sector companies or their leaders. Your reporting would have a focus on the macro-economic, business and technological aspects of finance and the people leading the industry, rather than on personal finance and investment.
You will produce pieces of varied lengths and time-sensitivity. You should be able to conceptualize and write stories quickly as a blogger might, with a distinctive voice and angle as opposed to dry factual reports. You will need be able to work as part of a team in the flow of news, simultaneously monitoring multiple information sources and communicating with colleagues and contacts by a variety of means (email, phone, IM, social media). You will need to be able to juggle assignments, writing quick reactions to the news to a high standard of accuracy and excellence while pursuing longer-term, ambitious, deep reporting and scoops about major company moves and deals.
Journalistic Formats and Methods
You should be excited about learning and using innovative approaches both to reporting (such as using social media as a journalistic tool) and to conveying information (such as data visualizations and purpose-built apps), and about devising and using formats other than the typical 700-word article (such as shorter pieces, photos, diagrams, and charts) to more effectively get a point across. Most of your output will, however, be in written form, and clear, concise writing with a distinctive tone will be essential.
You will be held to high standards of journalistic integrity, rigor, and intellectual creativity. We do not require expertise in covering any particular sector, industry or region—we prefer a breadth of experience—but a solid background in business reporting is essential and experience covering the finance industry is a strong plus.
This job offers a unique chance to work on a startup that is digitally native, global in scope, and committed to high-quality journalism. The team’s mandate is to be bold in creating a digital publication of bracingly intelligent creativity. Launched in September 2012 by the Atlantic Media Company, Quartz already had 5 million monthly unique visitors and employed more than 40 staff by July 2013, with staff journalists in the United States, Europe and Asia, and represents the most important new initiative for the company since The Atlantic Monthly in 1857. More information about Quartz and its editorial team can be found here and here.
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate:
• 3+ years business/finance reporting/blogging experience that has generated a portfolio of agenda-setting coverage, including scoops, deeply reported articles, highly analytical pieces, and hard-hitting profiles and Q&As
• International experience and foreign language skills
• A solid grounding in covering in finance and preferably other business reporting too
• Facility with data and data analysis in reporting, and advanced experience with using regulatory filings
• Deep interest in coverage of global business, markets, and finance
• An ability to write cleanly, quickly, concisely, and fast
• Digital reporting, publishing and social media experience
• Excellent communication skills, ability to multi-task and prioritize, strong attention to detail
• Force of Ideas — At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, giving voice, argument, and flight to the latter.
• Spirit of Generosity — Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
All applicants should be prepared to present samples of their previous work as part of the interview process. In all of its hiring, Atlantic Media seeks candidates who are exemplars in two key areas: force of ideas and generosity of spirit.