Public News Service is looking for a daily news editor for broadcast and print copyediting.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Public News Service is a national newswire for public interest and social justice reporting. PNS is a multi-platform distribution network reaching a wide geographic and ideological audience where they are, with over 4,000 outlets regularly featuring our reporting to an average audience of 70 million weekly. We are a partly employee-owned Certified B Corporation consciously working to build a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive news company. PNS is committed to addressing and rectifying the harm that journalism can and has caused and staff maintain an internal Diversity, Inclusion and Equity team. PNS is the first newswire member of the Trust Project, which demonstrates the highest standards of journalistic transparency and ethics.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Daily Editor ensures editorial, ethical, artistic, and technical standards for PNS news stories and helps manage the news publication on our website. All editors must have a solid understanding of reporting, editing and production. They edit and oversee daily news assignments by reviewing stories to ensure accurate, fair, and community-engaged coverage in keeping with the PNS mission. The Daily Editor may receive editorial direction from the senior editorial team, but they are also encouraged to take opportunities to teach and uphold journalistic standards as appropriate. Our editors work in shifts to ensure the greatest coverage, and our shifts are either in the afternoon/early evening or morning/mid-afternoon.
Major Areas of Responsibility & Duties:
- Cleans up all facets of scripts, from punching up the headline to copy editing to formatting corrections; makes broadcast copy read well, look sharp visually, and be useful to other outlets
- Double-checks details including facts, names and pronunciations, photo credits, links, etc.
- Reviews the public website content from that morning and fixes, and/or coordinates with respective producer/editor to fix, correct and update as early as possible
- Checks photo size, quality, and attributions and edits photo captions per PNS format
- Listens to the soundbites and works with producers to correct any errors in transcriptions or audio, such as noise reduction, hiss reduction, etc. as required.
- Communicates regularly with producers throughout the editing process
- Addresses any editorial issues/problems that arise during the course of the news day, and if necessary, be available when another editor on duty asks for help
- Reviews social media posts from PNS national social feeds
- 3-5 years of detailed work experience as an editor in a fast-paced broadcast newsroom. (Print-only applicants: There is the possibility for PT shift work for print-only candidates)
- Priority will be given to candidates with experience transforming broadcast scripts to print
- Experience working successfully within an editorial virtual team
- Excellent news writing and communication skills and problem-solving habits
- Proven digital/computer skills.
- Ability to edit or willingness to learn to edit audio before starting is a big plus
WHAT TO INCLUDE IN SUBMISSION
- Write a short introduction about yourself
- Include a paragraph highlighting your writing experience, relevant credentials and publication credits
- Attach links to your strongest work or portfolio, and online profile.
- $215 a day- This works best for a multi-tasker as the amount of stories to edit per shift varies and engagement can be on and off with various journalists. Currently, $215.00 per shift, and a shift can occur in the afternoon/early evening or morning/mid-afternoon. Shifts are coordinated in advance and do not change without editors’ agreement.
For more information, visit their website.