Protean is looking for writers! We want to read pitches with incisive critiques of injustice, compelling stories of historical and cultural radicalism, and personal essays with lyrical prose and political consciousness.
Deadline: 27 May 2022
ABOUT THE COMPANY
An independent leftist magazine collecting criticism, essays, fiction, poetry, and art
ABOUT THE ROLE
We’re happy to announce that production is underway on Protean’s fourth print edition. As such, we are, once again, clamoring for your content. The 2022 print submissions period is now open, and it will remain so until Friday, May 27th.
This time around, in the interest of broadening the scope of the issue and opening up more possibilities, we’re foregoing a strict theme for our submissions call. Just send us your most compelling ideas and creations! Writers of color and other marginalized voices are especially encouraged to submit.
WHAT TO INCLUDE IN SUBMISSION
- Please append “PRINT:” to your email subject line to receive specific consideration for print. Submit work to the appropriate inbox, as outlined below.
- For non-fiction articles, pitches and drafts are both acceptable.
- If sending an article draft, please attach it to your pitch email in .doc format.
- We are not presently soliciting reviews or interviews for the print edition—only criticism and essays.
- Online submissions are also open. Entries that we don’t feel are right for print will be secondarily considered for web publication.
- $350 – word count: 1,700 to 4,500
For more information, visit their website.
Before applying, review submission guidelines. Email all questions and submissions to: submissions@