Prism is looking for writers
Prism is hiring a freelance Contributing Writer, Education on a six-month contract basis, to regularly contribute to our coverage of public education, through the lens of racial justice.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
As a nonprofit, independent news outlet led by people of color and anchored in communities of color, Prism reports truth to power. Our coverage informs and animates the fight for justice at every point where power is built—from grassroots movements, to policy change, to lasting shifts in our culture. Activists, thought leaders, decision-makers, and all those who believe in justice for all come to Prism for deep reporting and honest insights on the most pressing injustices of our time—delivered through the lens of those who are most impacted.
While we are headquartered in California, we are a fully-remote team—with staff member locations ranging from the Bay Area, Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, and the US South.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Our Contributing Writer, Education role will cover public education in the United States with a particular focus on the New England region, covering issues including the ongoing debate about historically accurate curricula on racial injustice, the impact of COVID-19 on students and educators in majority-BIPOC school districts, segregation in schools, testing, the role of charter and magnet schools in public education, disparities in school discipline, and more. Our focus will be to produce journalism that centers the experiences of students and educators, highlighting their innovation, leadership, and grassroots organizing for equitable, just, and historically-informed education.
The Education Contributing Writer will publish one to two pieces per month at approximately 1,200 words per piece, capped at nine pieces per six-month contract, with a mix of articles assigned by Prism editors and those proactively pitched by the writer. We’re seeking reporters who are eager to write deeply reported feature stories that center the lived experiences of the people most impacted by public education–students and families, and educators.. Contributing writers should possess a deep well of story ideas, and must excel at working independently in a deadline-driven environment.
The position is remote, but preference will be given to applicants based in the New England region of the United States.
Our ideal contributing writer is a well-sourced, deeply empathetic journalist who wants to do a different kind of journalism. The ideal candidate has an intuitive sense of the news that matters to the communities Prism serves, and the skill, passion, and discipline to take the kernel of an idea and grow it into a full story that widens readers’ lens on an issue. The right candidate will be prepared to dig deep into the status quo and deliver a new kind of inclusive journalism.
WHAT TO INCLUDE IN SUBMISSION
To apply for the Contributing Writer, Education (freelance, part-time) position, please create a single-document file that includes the following, in this order:
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach this position and why your experience and skills make you best suited
- Your resume—one to two pages—including a link to your LinkedIn profile and portfolio of work, if you have one
- Links to no fewer than three published pieces you’re proud of
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your single-document file containing what’s outlined above, along with the subject line Contributing Writer, Education by the conclusion of February 15, 2022. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- A demonstrated commitment to the issue areas we cover
- Strong news judgment
- Experience as an empathetic, nimble reporter and strong writer
- Alignment with Prism’s mission and values
If you see yourself in some of the characteristics we’ve described—even if you may not have the exact experience you think we’re looking for—please reach out! We’d love to hear from you.
- Six-month freelance contract position and pays $1,000 per month for a total of $6,000-roughly 1,200 words per piece (this contract role contributes one to two reported news stories per month). Contributing writers may be offered the option to renew for an additional six months.
For more information, visit their website.
Please email all questions and submissions to join@