Portland Biz Journal seeks digital producer/associate editor
As the newsroom staff member responsible for the day-to-day management of all online content across multiple platforms, the Digital Producer/Associate Editor at the Portland Business Journal must thrive in a breaking-news culture.
This individual is the gatekeeper for all digital content and will work directly with a seasoned team of reporters to curate, edit and publish stories to the Web. This individual will also report and write content as needed, as well as conceptualize and produce online galleries/slideshows using photos and data.
The job requires solid news judgment, strong headline writing skills, and familiarity with SEO and site metrics. The Digital Producer/Associate Editor must balance the highest standards for content with ambitious traffic and engagement objectives.
This individual will also serve as editor on occasional special projects (print and digital), including assigning stories and editing content in partnership with the editor and managing editor.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS
- Ability to multitask and work in a highly collaborative, high-energy environment
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 5-years experience in a newsroom environment
- Strong headline writing and copy-editing skills
- Ability to analyze and distill data
- Familiarity with AP Style
- SEO experience
- Video production, HTML and data management experience a plus
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and responsibilities, work schedules and/or location may change based on evolving business needs
- Produce hard news and engaging daily online content
- Generate and execute digital story ideas
- Gather and upload graphics, photos and other imagery for digital features
- Track metrics, measure engagement and help staff identify and deploy tactics to meet traffic and engagement goals
- Manage social media feeds and execute on strategies to build engagement
- Work with editors, reporters and other stakeholders to plan new content and features
- Work collaboratively with peers in design and research
APPLY DIRECTLY TO EDITOR SUZANNE STEVENS
(Please put “Digital Producer applicant” in the subject line.)
Please include three writing samples and/or links to work that demonstrate your ability to execute on the responsibilities of the position.