PoliticoPro is looking for an experienced and versatile reporter to dig into the politics and policy of agriculture.
We want to hear from you if you’re the type of reporter who is equally comfortable diving into USDA economic reports as you are interacting with aggies on Twitter. You should be hard-nosed and relentless. You should be someone who is never content with just getting a canned quote and never satisfied with conventional wisdom or a politician’s non-answers.
You should have a built-in drive to have your byline be known throughout the heartland as the must-read source for news on agriculture. You should be brimming with ideas on how to cover the downturn in the farm economy, Big Food, the international agriculture economy and government policy.
- Writing chops. The ability to write fast and analytically is a must. Flair and style are required; people should want to pay to read your writing.
- Reader engagement. The ideal person will be eager to serve as the lead reporter for a morning newsletter. You should want to take ownership over our central product and promote it throughout farming and food circles. The newsletter should be the first and best “must-read” for our subscribers every morning.
- Good listening skills. The ability to develop a network of sources both in and out of Washington is necessary. You will also play an important role in engaging on social media while understanding the difference between attitude and authority. You should demonstrate the core journalistic values of integrity and compassion.
- Versatility. Our best newsletter writers produce a smart, savvy blend of scoops, analysis and smart aggregation. They also write breaking news items and can naturally turn leads or quick hits into deeper-dive pieces when the news warrants.
- Team spirit. You must be able to work as part of a team and collaborate on beat coverage and in-depth pieces. You will be paired with reporters who cover all aspects of farm and food policy and editors who will give your stories shape and polish.
To apply, go here.