Politico seeks a reporter to cover ag policy and politics
Politico Pro is looking for a versatile reporter and newsletter writer to dig into the politics and policy of agriculture. This is one of the most dynamic and exciting policy areas in Washington – you may write about regulations governing food safety one day and implications of trade wars the next.
Who You Are:
- Experience covering Congress, agencies or policy news
- The ability to make sense of trade numbers in a context that readers can understand
- Experience with digging into data, FOIAs and documents
- Built-in drive to have your byline be known throughout the heartland as the must-read source for news on agriculture
- Equally comfortable diving into USDA economic reports as you are interacting with aggies on Twitter
What You’ll Need:
- Writing chops. The ability to write fast and analytically is a must. Flair and style are required; people should want to pay to read your writing.
- Reader engagement. The ideal person will be eager to serve as the lead reporter for a morning newsletter. You should want to take ownership over our central product and promote it throughout farming and food circles. The newsletter should be the first and best “must-read” for our subscribers every morning.
- Good listening skills. The ability to develop a network of sources both in and out of Washington is necessary. You will also play an important role in engaging on social media while understanding the difference between attitude and authority. You should demonstrate the core journalistic values of integrity and compassion.
- Versatility. Our best newsletter writers produce a smart, savvy blend of scoops, analysis and smart aggregation. They also write breaking news items and can naturally turn leads or quick hits into deeper-dive pieces when the news warrants.
- Team spirit. You must be able to work as part of a team and collaborate on beat coverage and in-depth pieces. You will be paired with reporters who cover all aspects of farm and food policy and editors who will give your stories shape and polish
- A background in economic or science reporting is an asset.
- At least three-plus years of professional journalism experience covering a daily beat is required.
- Journalistic experience in covering the farm bill, federal policy and/or agribusiness is helpful but not essential.
- Experience with writing newsletters is a plus.
To apply, go here.