POLITICO is seeking a data journalist to fill the role of data and graphics reporter. This is a chance to report deeply on the effects of politics and policy and to have your work seen by decision-makers across the government, business and nonprofit worlds.
In this role, you’ll contribute best-in-class visual journalism to our most premium subscriber offerings: DataPoint and Pro Analysis. Our desk is not a service desk, which means you’ll pitch and report on stories from start to finish, as well as collaborate with journalists across our newsroom. We’re looking for someone who’s shown that they can dig deep into a topic using both traditional reporting and data reporting techniques. We are proud to have a talented team that covers policy areas core to Pro subscribers, with beats like budget/appropriations, the economy, energy/environment, health care, technology, trade, and more.
We’re looking for a life-long learner, someone with a deep interest in policy reporting and the tools we need to tell those stories. You’ll be part of a team that’s dedicated to constantly improving our work and doing insightful journalism that explains, advances and uncovers news.
This role reports to POLITICO’s data and graphics editor, Sean McMinn. His email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
What You’ll Do:
- Pitch and produce original, timely graphics and graphics-driven stories
- Collaborate with policy reporters on explanatory journalism series for subscribers
- Share skills with team members and contribute to a culture of consistent learning
- Edit DataWrapper charts from the newsroom on a weekly basis and advise on best practices and chart types
What You’ll Need:
- Deep interest in the policies shaping the nation
- Professional newsroom experience, including internships, or equivalent in a related field
- Sharp writing skills, and the ability to distill complex stories into concise graphics and text both on quick deadlines and long-term projects
- Excellent collaboration skills
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator
- Fluency in data analysis using a tool such as Excel, SQL, Python, R, QGIS, etc
- Curiosity to learn about politics and policy, and the ability to pitch stories
- Knowledge of mapping tools such as QGIS
- Working knowledge of DataWrapper tool
- Experience covering national politics or policy
For further details click here.