POLITICO is seeking a fast and energetic reporter to cover breaking political news in California and helm our Playbook PM newsletter, working closely with the Playbook co-authors and other reporters. This is a brand new position created as part of our ambitious growth plans in the state.
We’re looking for a journalist who can quickly spot and report out developments related to key figures and themes in California politics, delivering clean stories for state and national audiences on a tight deadline. The ideal candidate enjoys writing with voice and would be comfortable riffing on the latest team scoop or news of the day in afternoon dispatches for California Playbook readers. This is an opportunity to join a growing, collaborative team whose report is widely read in the state and across the nation.
This position is based in Sacramento, CA.
What You’ll Do:
- Report and write daily stories on major political developments in California
- Closely monitor major storylines and political figures in Sacramento and statewide
- Helm our California Playbook PM newsletter, working with politics and policy reporters, and contribute reported items for other newsletters
- Stake out key legislative meetings and interview lawmakers and others in the state Capitol
What You’ll Need:
- The skills to write quick, clean and accurate stories on deadline
- A deep interest in covering politics. Prior experience covering California politics and government is desired but not required
- The ability to work independently yet in close coordination with editors and reporting colleagues
- A rigorous commitment to fair-minded, nonpartisan journalism
The anticipated salary range for candidates who will work in Sacramento, CA is $65,000.00-$75,000.00 per year.
For further details click here.