The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Western Pennsylvania’s largest newspaper and 2022 winner of the Keystone Media Awards top newsroom honor among large papers, is looking for an ambitious and innovative journalist to lead coverage of one of America’s most dynamic business communities.
We are looking for someone with the passion and skill to cultivate multi-media stories about everything from how retail has changed based on how we spend our money to tech innovations under development in Pittsburgh to commercial real estate shifts driving regional construction projects. The region is home to high-profile businesses such as banking giant PNC Financial, coatings manufacturer PPG, steel manufacturer U.S. Steel, grocery chain Giant Eagle and sporting goods retailer Dick’s Sporting Goods, as well as artificial intelligence startups and social media innovators partnering with experts from Carnegie Mellon University, and sprawling health systems like UPMC and Allegheny Health Network. Energy companies that deal in everything from coal to gas to solar to hydro-electric power are all embedded in the region’s economy and traditions.
We’re looking for an editor to help a team of award-winning business reporters make covering of consumer, workforce and other business issues accessible, well-researched and fascinating enough to convince readers to spend time with sometimes complex topics.
In addition to keeping the business news offerings on the Post-Gazette’s website timely, competitive and engaging, the business editor will be responsible for producing a daily business news section for print and/or e-editions, editing at least two special sections annually and leading development of several ambitious, multi-media enterprise pieces. This is a full-time position.
- Understand the dynamics of the economy and the role that businesses, consumers and other organizations play roles in that.
- Possess strong editing skills
- Perform effectively on deadline with designers, both for digital and print presentations, to create compelling multimedia packages
- Be eager to invent and design experiences and innovate new story forms that become regular elements of our coverage
- Develop a vision for the Post-Gazette’s business coverage
Other Things to Know
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- We encourage everyone to apply who shares our passion for indispensable journalism and our drive to create a sustainable business model to support it
- As an equal opportunity employer, the Post-Gazette is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture, and we encourage members of underrepresented
communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people, and people with special needs
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism
- 3 to 7 years of experience, preferably including digital platforms
- Proven ability to manage a reporting staff
- Strong verbal and written communication skills as well as strong interpersonal skills;
- Strong analytical and strategic planning skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to effectively manage and mentor staff;
- Display exceptional work ethic, time management, and organization skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other editors and managers across the newsroom
To apply, go here.