Phoenix Business Journal seeks editor in chief
Phoenix Business Journal is looking for a dynamic, innovative Editor in Chief to lead a talented newsroom in one of the country’s hottest, fastest-paced business communities.
The Editor in Chief, as the highest ranking newsroom leader, is responsible for driving product strategy and quality across all platforms and for relentlessly building audience. The EIC must be equally at home in both print and digital, but leadership and innovation must be particularly pronounced on digital platforms. To be successful, the EIC must have well-honed hard news instincts, a burning curiosity about business and people, a deft editing hand, and be equal parts leader, entrepreneur and marketer.
- Define a clear and compelling vision for the look, feel and voice of our
- products, including a thriving digital news operation, a printed weekly edition, daily emails, tablet and mobile products.
- Lead staff adaptation to new platforms, skill sets, story forms, and ways of doing things.
- Guide, develop and mentor reporting staff.
- Own the growth of digital and print audiences.
- Work with other department heads to create new products and other business opportunities.
- In collaboration with the Publisher, identify and address new business and audience opportunities to extend the brand.
- Meet or exceed goals relating to audience engagement.
- Embrace community and business outreach as an ambassador of the Business Journal.
- Host and attend Phoenix Business Journal events
- Speak to business groups and other relevant audiences on behalf of the Business Journal.
- In collaboration with the publisher, develop, assemble and moderate panel discussions on topics of interest to the Business Journal audience.
- Inspiring and diplomatic.
- Innovative, curious, collaborative.
- Passionate about covering local business news.
- Knowledgeable about business topics.
- Able to lead and drive growth in a newsroom with varying levels of experience.
- Good communicator able to build and maintain a strong newsroom culture.
- Must be able to thrive in a rapidly changing and uncharted media environment.
- Innovator who brings new ideas to help grow the Phoenix Business Journal.
- Must have proven success in newsroom management and team leadership
- Digital news management
- Line editing
- Running a multiplatform news operation
- Beat reporting
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
To apply, send a resume and snappy cover letter to Beth Hunt, director of editorial recruiting and development for American City Business Journals, email@example.com