Philadelphia Inquirer seeks deputy business editor
The Deputy Business Editor at the Philadelphia Inquirer will help create the future of regional business journalism in our evolving and growing business desk. This position will work beside the Business Editor to lead business news coverage for our website and print content, including the Sunday section. By placing a premium on developing new content that is local, unique, and useful, the ideal candidate will be able to create a strong rapport with audiences online and in print. This position will also collaborate with all parts of the company to develop products that meet the audience’s needs. Previous editing experience is mandatory, as is a proven record of leading a team of reporters. Strong personal skills are appreciated, and a background in business journalism is a plus.
What You’ll Do
- Helps handle a heavy editing and workflow schedule, including copy editing, line editing, print and digital production for daily pages and weekly Sunday section.
- Works with the business reporters to maximize audience engagement and the impact on the community and our readers
- Contributes to a content strategy that is local, unique, relevant and useful and emphasizes strong connectedness to the audiences served and the issues they care about.
- Develops expertise in business news through wide reading, research and interviews
- Communicates and collaborates across coverage teams and across the company
- Project management – helping to shepherd key business news projects from ideas to finished pieces
- Helps develop the business department’s daily e-newsletter and other new web projects
- Oversees the Sunday print and online vertical
- Knows our local and national competitors — from Philadelphia Business Journal and Technical.ly Philly to Yahoo Finance and Business Insider — and suggest ways we can improve and gain audience
- With the Business Editor, the Deputy Editor is responsible for performance management on the desk
- Posts our content and curates content from other outlets, as needed
- Makes sure the team connects with hub editors — including homepage, audience and visuals teams — for transparency
Who We’re Looking For:
- Well versed in analytics tools and capable of using those tools to help guide reporters and coverage
- Strong management ability
- Advanced editing, coaching and collaborative skills
- Proficient in digital content management tools (e.g., WordPress, Clickability)
- Reporting and research skills necessary to become a subject matter expert
- Strong writing skills, including use of alternative story forms and conversational voice
- Skills in brainstorming, planning and coordinating multimedia storytelling
- Social media
Other Things to Know:
- Regular evening and weekend work with varied hours – Monday through Sunday
- Some repetitive tasks and sitting for extended periods of time
- Direct Reports: 10 staffers
To apply, go here.