The Philadelphia Inquirer’s Business and Built Environment team is seeking a Coverage Editor to help shepherd a team of experienced reporters covering traditional business topics as well as real estate, transportation and the natural environment.
This editor will work closely with the team’s Senior and Deputy Editors to implement a timely, digitally focused content strategy that includes daily and enterprise stories, as well as round-ups, lists, and other alternative story forms. This editor should be able to shift from mobile to newsletters and print products, and other platforms with ease.
The ideal candidate will be a strong editor, a self-starter who can generate story ideas, and a collaborator who can build relationships with staff and contributors.
Previous editing experience is required. Strong personal skills are appreciated and a background in business journalism is a plus.
What You’ll Do
- Help handle a heavy editing and workflow schedule, including digital and print production for daily pages
and weekly Sunday sections.
- Contribute to a content strategy that is local, unique, relevant and useful and emphasizes strong connectedness
to Inquirer audiences and the issues they care about.
- Develops expertise in regional business news through wide reading, research and interviews.
- Communicate with key desks — including audience development, programming, and print — to help our journalismreach the most readers.
- Collaborate with other content desks as needed.
- Monitor our local and national competitors — from Philadelphia Business Journal and Technical.ly Philly to Yahoo Finance and Business Insider — and suggest ways we can improve and grow our audience.
Who We’re Looking For:
- Qualifications include: Previous experience commissioning and editing articles
- Someone who is ambidextrous enough to work collaboratively with a growing team and who can also be self-motivated and perform tasks independently
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to adapt quickly to meet the evolving demands of daily news stories
- Previous experience developing stories related to business and consumer topics is strongly preferred
The Philadelphia Inquirer is committed to attracting a diverse group of interested people to join our team, so please err on the side of applying even if you’re unsure if you meet all the qualifications. We encourage anyone to apply who shares our passion for indispensable journalism and our drive to create a sustainable business model to support it.
To apply, go here.