Business and politics are intertwined in Philadelphia. The Philadelphia Inauirer seeking a reporter who can peel those threads apart and show readers how the institutional and personal ties between the corner office, legislative chambers and the union hall affect the regional economy.
The Business & Power reporter would cover major developments at the big institutions where the public and private sectors merge, such as the port, the airport and the Navy Yard. But the primary focus is enterprise and analysis. Your reporting should reveal financial interests that would rather stay hidden, explore the economic impact of tax and regulation legislation, delve into the dealings of quasi-public corporations, and take readers into the back rooms where lobbyists secure policy changes that can yield big profits for connected companies.
While the beat’s primary lens is business and the regional economy, this is an assignment that will also require frequent reporting on policy and politicos. So careful coordination and frequent cooperation with other desks is essential. Extensive enterprise or investigative experience is a requirement, and familiarity with greater Philadelphia and its power structure is preferred.
- Ensure reporting offers a window on the communities we serve, that reflect their spirit, their personalities, their diversity
- Dig for and gather news and information; synthesize it in strong prose
- Cover spot news as needed
- Make use of visual elements to augment storytelling
- Build subject matter expertise and audience around a topic and cultivate sources
- Aggregate topical news from other sources and add value
- Use social media both as a reporting tool and as a venue for promoting work
- A minimum of three years of reporting experience for a news organization
- A four-year college degree, or equivalent experience.
- Graceful, concise and compelling writing style
- Basic data literacy and analysis skills and ability to build simple charts, graphs, maps with in-house tools
- Ability to gather, edit and post basic video and audio clips
- Basic photo editing skills
- Ability to interpret audience analytics to inform newsgathering decisions
- Please submit up to five samples of your work.
To apply, go here.