Personal finance site Considerable seeks senior editor
Considerable, a new digital media brand for people in their fifties and sixties, is looking for an experienced editor to join the team and help build a great financial and lifestyle site.
You’ll report directly to the Editorial Director, and be responsible for managing two of our five related verticals, in addition to helping out on all aspects of editorial operations, including but not exclusive to: strategic planning, line and copy editing, recruiting freelancers, story development and audience engagement.
We’re a start-up—growing fast, with big ideas and grand ambition, but for now we’re still a small team. Strategy is a huge part of this role, but it also isn’t a lean back and point position—you’ll need to come in willing to tackle whatever task is needed, big or small, to produce great content for the site and help grow the audience and engagement. If you’ve got the enterprise, talent, and vision to help us build this brand into the trusted, go-to resource for Americans aged 50-70, we’d love to talk with you.
This is a full-time role based at our midtown Manhattan offices.
About the role:
What you’ll do:
- Manage the creation and dissemination of approximately 30 stories per month across two of our five verticals: Money; Work; Family & Home; Health & Wellness; and Pursuits (includes channels such as Travel, Culture, Style and Giving Back).
- Identify, recruit, vet, and edit freelance journalists and subject matter experts
- Identify potential content partners
- Solicit pitches, generate story ideas, assign and occasionally write stories
- Story-level editing (structure, voice, tone) and sentence-level editing (grammar, punctuation, syntax)
- Enforce tone, style, and editorial best practices with writers
- Work with contributors on multiple headlines and summaries for content to help drive promotion through social and email channels
- Work with the marketing team to manage digital presence and direct programs to improve social media reputation and recognition
- Work with image sites and our photo editor to find and create the right visuals for each story
- Help develop the style, tone, and voice of the brand
- Provide ongoing guidance on story topics and angles of coverage; help maintain the overall balance and direction of the brand editorially
- Participate in brainstorm sessions with internal stakeholders
- Help drive audience and email growth
- Work with business leads on strategies to drive revenue
- 7-10 years of editorial experience at a digital media publication, bonus points if you have experience with a pre-retiree audience.
- Excellent story sense: an eye for spotting, commissioning, and assigning great stories that serve readers, rack up social shares and drive conversation
- Experience and expertise covering the topic areas in at least two of our verticals and interest in all five. Working knowledge of core topics such as personal finance and insurance, including retirement, Medicare, and investing, is a plus.
- Excellent people and project management skills: capable of mentoring and managing writers, designers, and other content creators, as well as driving complex editorial calendars
- A desire to mentor and support junior staffers in their career growth
- Experience working with video, slideshows, interactives, and other asset types
Work Ethic & Outlook
- Are excited at the prospect of helping to build a great brand from the ground up
- Openly welcome changes and new challenges; you’re adaptable
- Are a creative and very curious person, and you’re certainly not afraid to ask questions (even the ones that feel really, really stupid as you say them in your head)
- A self-starter; you don’t need to be told what to do
- …But you’re still great at working as part of a team
- Have a passion for process and organization. (Well, ‘passion’ is perhaps a strong word, but hey, you realize they’re super important)
- Can work to tight deadlines and still be cool as a cucumber under pressure
- Are much more interested in crafting solutions to problems rather than excuses
- Stay on top of the latest media and marketing trends
To apply, go here.