Personal finance site Considerable seeks deputy editor
Considerable, a new digital media brand for people in their fifties and sixties, is looking for an experienced editorial leader to take a lead role in supervising the day to day operations of our financial and lifestyle website.
You’ll report directly to the Editorial Director, and be a partner in responsibility for all aspects of the editorial operation, including but not exclusive to content creation, strategic planning, line and copy editing, recruiting freelancers, and audience development. You will also have direct responsibility over one or two of our five content verticals.
We’re a start-up—growing fast, with big ideas and grand ambition, but for now we’re still a small team. Strategy is a huge part of this role, but it also isn’t a lean back and point position—you’ll need to come in willing to tackle whatever task is needed, big or small, to produce great content for the site and help grow the audience and engagement. If you’ve got the enterprise, talent, and vision to help us build this brand into the trusted, go-to resource for Americans aged 50-70, we’d love to talk with you.
This is a full-time role based at our midtown Manhattan offices.
About the role:
What you’ll do:
- Supervise day to day running of the site, in conjunction with the Editorial Director
- Partner with the Editorial Director on strategic planning and big editorial projects
- Manage the creation and dissemination of approximately 75 stories per month across five verticals, with direct responsibility for the content in one to two of them. The verticals are: Money; Work; Family & Home; Health & Wellness; and Pursuits (includes topics such as Travel, Culture, Style and Giving Back).
- Identify, recruit, vet, and edit freelance journalists and subject matter experts
- Solicit pitches, generate story ideas, and assign stories
- Identify, recruit and manage smart content partnerships
- Enforce tone, style, and editorial best practices with writers
- Supervise homepages and vertical landing pages to ensure that they always reflect our best work, brand mission, and business interests
- Monitor traffic and strategize accordingly to ensure daily/monthly goals are met
- Work with contributors on multiple headlines and summaries for content to help drive promotion through social and email channels
- Work with the marketing team to manage digital presence and direct programs to improve social media reputation and recognition
- Work with image sites and our photo editor to find and create the right visuals for each story
- Help to develop the style, tone, and voice of the brand
- Provide ongoing guidance on story topics and angles of coverage; help maintain the overall balance and direction of the brand editorially
- Participate in brainstorm sessions with internal stakeholders
- Help drive audience and email growth
- Work with business leads on strategies to drive advertising and other revenue
- 15+ years of editorial experience at a media publication, including 5-10+ years working with digital brands; bonus points if you have experience with content for a pre-retiree audience.
- Experience and deep knowledge in two or more of our verticals, and preferably working knowledge of all or most of the content areas across all five verticals.
- Experience and expertise covering some of the topic areas particularly relevant to readers in their fifties and sixties, such as retirement planning, health and healthcare costs (including Medicare and other types of health insurance), caregiving, and Social Security
- Excellent people and project management skills, capable of mentoring and managing writers, designers, and other content creators, as well as driving complex editorial calendars
- Excellent story sense: an eye for spotting, commissioning, and assigning great stories that serve readers, rack up social shares and drive conversation
- Experience working with video, slideshows, interactives, and other asset types
Work Ethic & Outlook
- Are excited at the prospect of taking a leadership role building a great brand from the ground up
- Openly welcome changes and new challenges; you’re adaptable
- Are a dynamic leader: you have editorial team leadership experience but you’re also not above getting your hands dirty
- Have a passion for process and organization. (Well, “passion” is perhaps a strong word, but hey, you realize they’re super important)
- Can work to tight deadlines and still be cool as a cucumber under pressure—and help the people who work for you do the same
- Are much more interested in crafting solutions to problems rather than excuses
- Stay on top of the latest media and marketing trends
Considerable.com is a NYC based media and tech company dedicated to creating engaging, intelligent, and informative content for Americans between the ages of 50 and 70. As a new financial and lifestyle media brand, we will cover the aspirations, challenges and joys of this stage of life, offering smart, useful, thought-provoking and engaging content in a voice authentic to the audience.
We also offer innovative tools and services to help make critical but often daunting and difficult tasks, such as researching and buying health insurance, a simpler, user-friendly experience. We focus on quality and craft, with the ultimate goal of helping our users make better decisions and lead more fulfilling lives.
We offer competitive compensation, generous paid time off, health benefits, and the opportunity to work in a nice modern space alongside a team of people eager to challenge the status quo.
To apply, go here.