Personal finance site Considerable seeks associate editor
Considerable, a new digital media brand for people in their fifties and sixties, is looking for a dynamic, skilled writer and editor to join the team and help build our financial and lifestyle site.
You’ll report directly to our Editorial Director and Deputy Editor, and be responsible for managing one or more of our five key verticals, in addition to assisting in general editorial operations, writing articles, and line editing.
We’re a start-up—growing fast, with big ideas and grand ambition, but for now we’re still a small team. Strategy is certainly part of this role, but it also isn’t a lean back and point position—you’ll need to come in willing to tackle whatever task is needed, big or small, to produce great content for the site and generate reader engagement. If you’ve got the enterprise, talent, and vision to help us build this brand into the trusted, go-to resource for Americans aged 50-70, we’d love to talk with you.
This is a full-time role based at our midtown Manhattan offices.
About the role:
What you’ll do:
- Create and edit content across one or more of our verticals: Money; Work; Family & Home; Health & Wellness; and Pursuits (topics include Travel, Giving Back, Culture, and Style).
- Develop a stable of talented freelance writers; solicit pitches; generate story ideas; assign and write stories
- Story-level editing (structure, voice, tone) and sentence-level editing (grammar, punctuation, syntax)
- Enforce tone, style, and editorial best practices with writers
- Work with contributors on multiple headlines and summaries for content to help drive promotion through social and email channels
- Work with image sites and our photo editor to find and create the right visuals for each story
- Help develop the style, tone, and voice of the brand
- Provide ongoing guidance on story topics and angles of coverage; help maintain the overall balance and direction of the brand editorially
- Participate in brainstorm sessions with internal stakeholders
- Help drive audience and email growth
- Work with business leads on strategies to drive revenue
- 5+ years of editorial experience at a digital media publication.
- Excellent story sense: an eye for spotting, commissioning, and assigning great stories that serve readers, rack up social shares and drive conversation
- Experience and expertise in covering the content in one or more of our verticals. Working knowledge of core topics such as personal finance and insurance, including retirement, Medicare, and investing, is a plus
- An interest in mentoring and supporting junior writers in their career growth
- Experience working with video, slideshows, interactives, and other asset types
Work Ethic & Outlook
- Are excited at the prospect of helping to build a great brand from the ground up
- Openly welcome new challenges; you’re adaptable
- Are a creative and very curious person, and you’re certainly not afraid to ask questions (even the ones that feel really, really stupid as you say them in your head)
- Are a self-starter; you don’t need to be told what to do
- …But you’re still great at working as part of a team
- Have a passion for process and organization. (Well, ‘passion’ is perhaps a strong word, but hey, you realize they’re super important)
- Can work to tight deadlines and still be cool as a cucumber under pressure
- Are much more interested in crafting solutions to problems rather than excuses
To apply, go here.