As a member of the PBS NewsHour multiplatform newsroom, the Associate Producer/Editor, Social Media will play a leading role in producing content for and managing and implementing PBS NewsHour’s social media strategy and outreach. The Associate Producer/Editor, Social Media will oversee PBS NewsHour’s social media editorial calendar and manage the sharing of PBS NewsHour reporting from broadcast and online across social media platforms and explore new channels for future engagement, helping to grow PBS NewsHour’s social media following and engaged communities.
- Manage and engage in daily news and long-term projects on social platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social platforms, with beat producers, editors and the Digital team.
- Produce news-driven and platform-intentional video, photo and text content for social platforms.
- Package broadcast and online content specifically for maximum performance on each social platform.
- Manage live, breaking, current events on Twitter, Facebook LIVE, and Instagram TV, and other social platforms when necessary.
- Expand PBS NewsHour’s use of social media storytelling with exclusive social content produced in and around Washington.
- Explore new tools and techniques for use by PBS NewsHour to share broadcast and online content.
- Monitor comments on social media and conversation related to NewsHour reporting, organization, and talent, in real time.
- Track and communicate social performance to internal stakeholders.
- Collaborate and coordinate with other members of the NewsHour social media team, WETA, PBS, PBS stations, and media partners on social media partnerships and sharing.
- Measure and track individual and platform reach for different time periods.
Participate in special projects and perform additional duties as assigned.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- A track record of responsibly managing social media platforms for an objective news organization.
- A deep curiosity about the evolution of social media in the news industry.
- A desire to be at the forefront of social communication and innovation.
- Experience working with multiple forms of digital media storytelling, including audio, video, and photography.
- An understanding of the role data plays in informing content decisions.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent writing and communication skills, including familiarity with AP style.
- Well informed in a wide range of areas, including politics, economics, foreign affairs, arts, health, science and education.
- Ability to multi-task and juggle multiple deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and a willingness to learn new skills as needed.
- Experience as a team player, working in collaboration with other members of the social media team and handling multiple assignments under tight deadline pressure.
- Strong communication and organizational skills, as well as the ability to be flexible with schedule and assignments.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related field.
- Three to five (3-5) years of professional experience reporting/producing and managing social platforms.
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
WETA and NewsHour Productions are Washington, DC established media and news organizations. We are a largely local workforce based out of the Campbell Place office in Arlington, VA. WETA and NewsHour Productions value employee flexibility when possible. Most positions based in our Arlington, VA office will be onsite or hybrid, depending upon the role.
For further details click here.