The Oregonian/OregonLive is looking for an energetic, curious, prolific reporter to join our team of business, technology and data reporters.
This position will find retail and business scoops, can navigate data to find trends, rankings and lists, and will broaden the audience for business news from insiders to consumers and small business owners. This reporter will be expected to publish brief newsy retail items frequently with an emphasis on openings/closings, trends, rankings and other clever use of business data.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
• Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or Communications or related field required
• Minimum of 3-5 years of journalism experience with a proven ability in reporting, writing and business journalism required
• Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience
• Ability to respond to audience metrics to expand reader/viewership, inform reporting
• Ability to work under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately
• Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
• Solid understanding of data journalism and data visualization best practices • Experience with search engine optimization practices
• Experience with using social media to source and promote content a plus • Basic HTML or equivalent web language a plus
• Demonstrated capability in capitalizing on high-value topics by engaging audiences in frequency and urgency
• Understanding of the methods and tools used to deliver content across a variety of platforms
• Understanding imperatives of multiple platforms – print, mobile, Internet, etc.
• Mastery of social media and digital interaction
• Proven ability to utilize a broad set of tools to tell stories and engage the audience
• Keeps abreast of industry advances and proactively considers new methods of reaching audiences including engaging, interactive and optimized product offerings.
To apply, go here.