Oprah Daily seeks a passionate book nerd to join our renowned Books department as a full-time Associate Books Editor! This person will support the Books Director, Print & Digital, as a reader and a scout, helping to evaluate and manage incoming submissions as well as outreach from publishers, writers, and agents. The Associate Books Editor will also contribute book reviews and write book news stories, as well as maintain the department’s editorial calendar and build stories for the website. Candidates must have strong written and verbal communication skills, an attention to detail and a good proofreading/copy editing eye. They should have a familiarity with the Oprah brand and a passion for the mission and editorial vision of our brand: making it a daily practice to live your best life.
What you’ll do:
- Build relationships with publishers and authors, with a focus on identifying overlooked books and rising talents among authors
- Operate as a book scout for Oprah Daily, which includes a deep appreciation of literature and the drive to find hidden gems
- Read, read, read!
- Write scouting reports on forthcoming books/manuscripts
- Contribute book reviews, book news stories, as well as articles/galleries of book recommendations for OprahDaily.com and O Quarterly
- Write scripts for Oprah’s Book Club
- Support the books department and Books Director, Print & Digital, by updating the editorial calendar, managing contracts with contributing authors, and building stories for the site
- Miscellaneous administration responsibilities
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Must be well-read and passionate about literature
- Must have knowledge of, and understanding of, the many kinds of articles: book reviews, interviews, profiles, gift guides, listicles, galleries and more
- Familiarity with the Oprah Daily editorial voice
- Aptitude for both long- and short-form writing, and interest in a diverse range of book genres
- Ability to distill information about a literary work into one or two sentences
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced digital content environment
- An understanding of SEO and broader digital publishing trends
- Facility with technology, high proficiency operating within a CMS and the InCopy suite of publishing software (and/or learning new systems)
- Basic knowledge of HTML a plus
- Strong communication skills, and collaborative mindset
- Passion and commitment to the Oprah Daily vision and editorial mission: making it a daily practice to live your best life!
- Must be extremely organized
- 2+ years of related experience
The base salary for this role is $65,000.
For further details click here.