The Omaha World-Herald, Nebraska’s largest newspaper and a Lee Enterprises publication is seeking a strong Metro Editor to assist with the production and publication of our daily print and on-line versions. We are seeking an individual who has a proven record of working with reporters to craft urgent, compelling, and meaningful stories to grow our digital audience.
This key leadership position is responsible to:
- Participate in planning efforts to set the strategic direction of the newsroom and to achieve company digital goals
- Assist the editor-in-chief in direction of daily and breaking news, both in print and digital mediums
- Identify strong enterprise stories that serve our audience with unique, meaningful content and drive growth in digital subscriptions
- Meet deadlines and other organizational matters/metrics and key performance indicators
- Support and lead companywide news initiatives and strategies as they apply to the news team
- Supervise a team of reporters by coaching and developing skills, setting expectations and holding employees accountable
- Schedule reporters and assignments, coordinating with photo/video and online staff
- Edit stories for precision, clarity and impact and post online
- Work with copy desk as needed to support the print production operation
- Help lead the local news team in absence of the editor-in-chief
- Understand libel, privacy and fairness issues and demonstrate a strong sense of journalism ethics
- Other duties as assigned
A bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field and a minimum of three years of multi-media journalism is preferred. Demonstrated skill in successfully supervising and leading others to attain goals is a must.
For more information click here.