NY Times seeks graphics/multimedia editor
The Digital News Design group at The New York Times seeks a technology-savvy interactive designer/editor to join our award-winning multimedia editors in the newsroom.
The person in this role will be expected to work with reporters, editors, producers, designers and software developers at The Times to craft rich multimedia experiences for a wide range of projects including news and enterprise stories, across multiple platforms.
In consultation with editors and other newsroom leaders, this role will involve journalistic judgment, visual creativity and innovation while ensuring accuracy, clarity, and validity of the content presented.
- Basic knowledge of Git is required
- Experience implementing video, audio, photography, and game mechanics
- A pragmatic innovator whose solutions elicit responses that justify the effort and investment
- Ability to convey interactive story ideas and complex interactions with wire-frames or prototypes.
- Strong portfolio of design work
- Solid understanding of layout, typography, and storytelling techniques
- Smart UX sensibility
- Enthusiasm for designing and making great products and experiences, for current events and The New York Times
- Quick learner with creative ideas
- Ability to work collaboratively with a mixed-media team
- Demonstrated ability to create presentations that intelligently incorporate audio, video, still images and text
- 5+ years of design experience
- Attention to detail and excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to meet deadlines and to adapt to change in a daily, unpredictable news production environment
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule that may include nights and weekends
- A keen interest in and knowledge of NYTimes.com’s competitors, both in the United States and abroad