NY Times seeks editor, push notifications
Push notifications are increasingly emerging as critical tools for connecting readers with the most important Times journalism and breaking news. To increase and refine these capabilities, the Home team is seeking editors who will focus on mobile push. This is a staff editor position.
These editors will be responsible for:
- Collaborating with Home team and masthead editors to set notification priorities for breaking news and enterprise stories, facilitating decisions about timing and audience segmentation
- Assertively seeking out and executing notification opportunities, including alerts that incorporate rich text and media elements
- Writing, editing and assigning notification language that distills a story’s most important and interesting elements into ~140 characters of text
- Supporting the teams that build the Times messaging platforms by executing experiments and providing expertise and guidance
- Developing a mastery of the tools
In addition, these editors will be trained to produce home screens, and will be tapped to fill in as home screen producers as needed.
These editors must be graceful, efficient and collegial under pressure, set wise priorities and synthesize the direction of multiple supervisors.
Strong writing and editing skills, and knowledge of Times style or the ability to absorb and apply it quickly, are essential.
- Three or more years of experience as a digital news editor
- Excellence in news judgment, audience-sensitive framing and writing mechanics
- External candidates who are finalists for the position will complete a Times editing test and an assessment of digital presentation skills