NY Times seeks director of cinematography
The New York Times Video Unit is looking for a director of cinematography who can help lead The Times’ effort to produce groundbreaking, must-see digital news video.
The DoC will be in charge of managing and curating a stylized look that distinguishes Times videos as a recognizable product.
He/she will act as a guardian for shooting and visual storytelling on Times’ platform, both in terms of quality control and technical decision making.
The ideal candidate will have strong conceptual ideas as well as in-depth knowledge of cameras, video gear, and the technical aspects of filming in the field.
- Managing cinematography for all sections of the Video newsroom. This will involve weekly meetings with all Video newsroom teams to keep on top of all production needs and logistics.
- Assist in establishing the visual concept, and ensure the cinematography executes on that concept.
- Hiring, coordinating and assigning freelance cinematographers for Times video projects.
- Collaborating with production teams to develop story ideas into visual treatments and shooting scripts.
- Conducting kick-off meetings with producers, reporters, cinematographers and editors to establish expectations around visual concept, format and style, and work with the team to execute on those expectations.
- Conducting post-mortem discussions with cinematographers on projects in an effort to improve our workflow and maintain our aesthetic.
- Coordinating studio shoots and advising on visual style.
- Making effective budgetary recommendations for equipment purchases for Times video with future proofing and aesthetics in mind.
- Occasionally shooting video (as needed).
- Experience as a senior producer/cinematographer at a major video outlet.
- Proven experience working with art directors and production crews, and existing relationships with a roster of freelance talent.
- Excellent writing, editing, filming and communication skills.
- Experience with studio shoots.
- Understanding of Times standards of journalistic excellence and truthfulness.
- Broad knowledge of current events and news