NY Times Opinion seeks copy chief
Times Opinion is looking for an experienced copy editor to run its copy desk. The ideal candidate has a proven record of supervising staff, as well as managing deadlines, in a fast-paced environment.
This editor has experience with the copy-editing process and a keen eye for detail and sharp editorial judgment, and is someone who can spot problems with articles before publication. This editor is digitally savvy and enthusiastic about Opinion’s daily report online and in print.
In this role, you will have supervisory duties and be responsible for prioritizing and assigning work, both text and multimedia, to a team of experienced copyeditors.
You will also help train new editors, edit headlines, captions and other display copy, and work collaboratively with the design and audience teams to optimize stories for various platforms.
- Well-organized, meticulous, and comfortable in a fast-paced digital newsroom
- Capable of responding to shifting priorities and demands based on department needs and the news cycle
- Excellent communication skills; thrives in a collaborative setting and is able to communicate across time zones to ensure easy hand-off of assignments
- Ensure clarity, accuracy and consistency across a range of content, including newsletters, editorials, op-eds, columns and video
- Familiarity with Times style preferred
- Knowledge of SEO best practices is a plus
- At least 5 years of copy-editing experience, preferably in digital journalism
- Experience supervising copy editors preferred
- Willingness to work flexible hours, as the news cycle demands
This position is represented by the NewsGuild of NY.