The New York Business Journal is looking for a top-notch reporter to cover business news, including economic development, commercial real estate, retail, startups and entrepreneurship. We’re looking for someone who wants to build — and work — strong source networks to uncover deals before anyone else and report both the dollar value and the broad impact of new projects, new employers and new players.
A New York Business Journal reporter is driven to do the hard work of digging up scoops and is intrigued by the challenge of putting together pieces of news to present a larger picture of the forces shaping the New York business community. From expansions, relocations and other deals, to coverage of important events, trends and executives, a good New York Business Journal reporter is editor of his or her own beat coverage and is easily able to assess what merits a story, an in-depth investigation or just a brief.
Candidates must be able to blend traditional journalism skills — source building, sharp news judgment, interviewing prowess and scoops-driven reporting — with digital and social media know-how.
New York Business Journal reporters are expected to provide forward-looking business intelligence to savvy readers, not just to inform them, but also to connect them with decision-makers and educate them on the strategies that work — or don’t. A focus on the people behind the deals is essential.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Desire and ability to break news and to identify newsworthy events and sources.
- Strong analytical and investigative-interviewing skills.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people — virtually, via phone and in-person.
- A clear drive to develop sources and build audience.
- Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure.
- Ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the New York Business Journal.
- Multimedia skills — including video, photos, broadcast, on-camera — are helpful.
To apply, go here.