NPR’s “All Tech Considered” seeks reporter/blogger
NPR’s All Tech Considered blog is an exploration of tech, culture and connection. We are looking for a highly motivated journalist who is fascinated by questions about how technology is a force for cultural and even behavioral change.
The All Tech Considered blogger/reporter is a hybrid position that requires a journalist who can work comfortably in both digital and broadcast worlds. S/he serves as the editorial driver of the blog and its line of coverage, but also can produce high quality radio program segments. S/He will identify and report national stories as they relate to technology and culture for the blog, help shape the editorial identity of the blog by advising the contributions of others and contribute regularly to NPR’s broadcasts.
The position does not need to be based at our headquarters in Washington, DC. Applicants from across the country are encouraged to apply.
Develops ideas/proposals for the blog and programs.
- Conceives, proposes, plans, and researches ideas for blog posts and radio stories.
- Guides other blog contributors on what fits the editorial identity of the blog.
- Develops news sources and keeps associated files.
- Takes assignments from supervisors on the desk.
- Participates in news department and desk planning for coverage.
- Develops material for web, including original reporting, writing and production.
Gathers information and materials for reports and programs.
- Gathers materials on tape and otherwise, through interviews, press conferences, and direct coverage of events. This may involve travel on short notice
- Advises editors on technical support required, as necessary.
- Prepares and presents reports and program segments.
- In consultation with editors and producers, organizes, edits and produces reports and program segments including introductory and continuity material.
- Covers breaking news with live coverage and two-ways with program hosts.
- Provide guidance to program hosts and producers as needed.
- Fulfills administrative obligations arising from assignments, such as filing prompt and accurate expense records and program information/ summaries; maintaining contact with editors and appropriate producers; keeping editors and appropriate producers informed about assignments.
To apply, go here.