NPR seeks a deputy business editor
The Deputy Business Editor will be a key partner to NPR’s Chief Business Editor and will help set the agenda of business coverage for the network.
This is a leadership position, where the person will shoulder operational and editorial responsibility for business and economics coverage on all platforms: news magazines, newscast, web, and social media. We are looking for candidates who have a passion for journalism and economic and business news and are excited about engaging in explanatory storytelling. The position reports to the Chief Business Editor.
The job is based in Washington, D.C.
- Serve as deputy to the chief business editor and help run the business desk
- Work closely with NPR shows, including Morning Edition, All Things Considered, Here & Now and Newscast to coordinate coverage
- Help manage a team of journalists that cover the economy, tech, media and entertainment, Wall Street, personal finance and other business news
- Edit stories. Plan and execute daily coverage
- Keep current with topics of interest for the desk and future planning
- Make decisions with full authority in the absence of chief business editor
- Participate in performance evaluations and play a key role in recruiting, training and mentoring
- Make sure the work is consistently accurate and fair, objective and of high quality
- Guide and help craft in-depth stories and specials for air and online
- Participate in newsroom planning meetings. Advocate on behalf of the business desk
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university or equivalent; media or journalism degree preferred
- A minimum 8-10 years of editorial experience
- A minimum of 5 years management experience, with proven success managing a diverse team of employees
- Considerable knowledge of business and economics, including, but not limited to: personal finance, innovation, global markets, key industries, technology and manufacturing
- Ability to clearly communicate ideas and skilled collaborator
- Engaged journalist with solid news judgment and driven by the 24-hour news cycle
- Thorough knowledge of news and feature reporting techniques and demonstrated writing ability, across multiple platforms
- Overseen and demonstrated collaborative approach to newsgathering and story presentation across platforms, including digital and social
- Considerable skill in both news and feature editing
- Willingness and ability to travel
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
To apply, go here.