Newsday is looking for a Data Writer skilled at reporting and telling stories with data. The data writer will work on stories and projects alone and in collaboration with a newsroom of experienced reporters and editors.
Essential Duties & Functions:
- Undertake data analyses and help interpret results in support of enterprise, daily and investigative stories by you and in collaboration with Newsday reporters and editors.
- Assist colleagues in brainstorming, acquisition, cleaning, vetting and analysis to increase the inclusion of data in our daily and short-term reporting. This includes working with journalists around the newsroom and digital/print presentation colleagues.
- Working for the investigation editor and together with others with data reporting and analysis skills, be able to juggle project requirements while also being comfortable assisting with short-term story flow. The ability to help and teach colleagues is key to helping increase the data reporting skills of our newsroom.
Essential Job Knowledge & Skills:
- Candidate should be a spreadsheet master and comfortable analyzing datasets containing numerous tables with millions of rows. The candidate also should have experience with GIS analysis and using at least one programming language for data collection and cleaning.
- Work with digital alternative storytelling team and print designers to employ data visualization across all platforms.
- Experience covering breaking news on deadline is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to break news, file quickly and accurately for all our platforms, meet tight deadlines, juggle more than one story at a time, cultivate sources, understand the importance of data-driven reporting and produce high-profile enterprise stories.
- A motivated individual who can bring a creative approach to covering the news.
- Comfortable and proficient using social media, smartphone photo and video and other media platforms to report and tell stories.
- Ability to write in an engaging manner is essential.
- Attention to detail is required.
- Ability and willingness to collaborate and build a rapport with others.
- Ability to find fresh story angles and write concise, lively copy in keeping with Newsday’s tone and format.
- Proficiency shooting iPhone photos and videos is a necessary skill.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple assignments simultaneously while meeting aggressive deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
This is a hybrid position. Employees are generally required to work in the office a minimum of three (3) days per week.
Compensation: The annual base salary for this position is $104,767.
For more details click here.