The NY Daily News is looking for its next Politics and Government Editor.
The Politics and Government Editor is a key position at the heart of the Daily News’ operation –a demanding and rewarding masthead position requiring top notch news judgment, strong managerial and editing skills and the ability to communicate quickly and effectively.
The Politics and Government Editor is responsible for supervising and shaping daily and longer-range local news coverage with a broad mandate encompassing the political world and government operations at the city, state and federal levels. This will be first and foremost an accountability job, focusing on the political leaders and public agencies that drive decisions crucial to the lives of New Yorkers. Strong storytelling skills are critical as we explore how issues ranging from spending to safety are playing out at ground level.
The position entails supervising the online publishing and updating of breaking, developing and competitive stories while coordinating with other departments to drive engagement and readership. The ability and willingness to design and champion creative approaches to storytelling geared to dovetail with the changing habits of an increasingly mobile audience is critical to success in this position. The Politics and Government Editor is expected to lead content strategies that both serve existing readers and cultivate new audiences.
The Politics and Government Editor must possess initiative, proven management skills, an intense competitive spirit, ability to think strategically, superior news judgment, business acumen, creativity, communication abilities, attention to detail and a commitment to accuracy, the ability to multitask and perform well under constant deadlines with no supervision, a strong command of the English language, and editing skills that conform to accepted journalistic techniques, ethical standards and Daily News style.
- Working to increase employee engagement and instill a learning culture that strives to grow engaged audiences.
- Playing lead decision-making role in the development of employees across the content team.
- Managing budgets, including compensation, expenses and travel. Planning annual spending and coming in at or below annual spending targets.
- Harnessing audience data to drive content and personnel decisions, aiming for content that is of interest to the local audience to maximize engagement and drive subscriptions.
- Editing articles and graphics for grammar, punctuation, clarity and accuracy.
- Managing all personnel on a team, from goal setting to performance evaluation to
reward/discipline, using metrics dashboards and other tools to coach performance.
- Basic skills:
- A team-first work ethic and an ability to foster excellent communication with peers, supervisor, department and newsroom.
- Familiarity with online metrics and audience tracking systems.
Exceptional news judgment and proven ability at carving out distinctive angles on major news events.
- Solid grasp of the rules of grammar, spelling, punctuation. Ability to write and edit
accurately, with clarity, without bias.
- Familiarity with analytics and ability to translate data into tactics and strategies, including ability to use metrics from Chartbeat, Metrics for News, social media and other tools.
- Knowledge of Facebook, Twitter and other social platforms and ability to develop/follow best practices for social.
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and ability to research SEO and appropriately populate fields and headlines.
An ability to multitask in a deadline-driven environment, and adapt constructively to Change. Strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit. Willingness to work evenings/weekends and irregular hours. Organizational skills. Knack for diplomacy
- A proven track record in newsroom leadership.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field required.
- Deep understanding of the operations of how news and audience intersect in an
increasingly competitive media landscape.
- Strong grasp of the critical issues facing New York.
- Entrepreneurial, digitally savvy, with exceptional analytical, quantitative, problem-
solving, and critical thinking skills.
Salary Range: $85-$100K
For more details click here.