New Scientist is looking for a digital journalist specialising in audience growth and engagement to lead on using platforms such as Google Showcase and Apple News to expand our worldwide reach and grow our US readership. This role will involve getting to know all of New Scientist’s content and digital output and collaborating with our editorial teams worldwide to make the most of our articles on digital platforms. You’ll also share your digital expertise with New Scientist’s New York team, and work closely with our London team to use our social media channels to better engage our large and growing US following.
The role will be based in New York, involve some training in London, and report jointly to our US Editor (New York) and our Audience Editor (London).
- Curating the best selection of articles for Google Showcase and other platforms, plus curating our homepage during US hours.
- Helping to develop and lead a strategic approach to leveraging third party platforms for audience growth and engagement.
- Producing and publishing the necessary assets for serving our content to these platforms.
- Working with editorial and production teams to coordinate online content publishing schedules.
- Using our social media channels to more deeply engage our US followers.
- Providing digital engagement and audience growth expertise, from general SEO best practice advice to CMS article formatting support, to our US journalists.
- Supporting our Audience Team’s use of newsletters, social media,video and SEO to get the most from New Scientist’s digital content.
- You do not require a qualification in science, technology, engineering or maths, but a passionate interest in these subjects is essential.
- The role requires previous hands-on experience driving digital audience growth for an editorial publication through third party platforms such as Google Showcase or Apple News, plus social media channels.
- A working knowledge of SEO best practice and comfortable using Google Analytics and other tools to inform and shape digital practices.
- Some experience writing and editing journalist copy, plus excellent attention to detail and good editorial judgement.
- Clear communication skills, the ability to take the initiative while collaborating with many colleagues, and a keen interest in the fast-changing digital journalism landscape.
Salary: $70,000 to 80,000 depending on experience
Closing date: 3rd April 2023
For more information click here.