The Daily Times in Farmington, N.M., is looking for a business editor who will have expanded newsroom responsibilities.
Main responsibilities include daily coverage of business issues, writing for two monthly special sections and editing other reporters’ copy. The person we are looking for will be able to turn a story quickly for the daily paper while working on longer pieces that examine factors important to the local economy, including the oil, gas, coal and power generation industries, and the region’s economic relationship with the Navajo Nation.
This person will play a pivotal role in the newsroom, substituting for the editor and the city editor when those people are unavailable. That means there will be times when the business editor will be conducting morning budget meetings with reporters, laying out the next day’s paper, assigning photos, editing copy on deadline, proofing pages and working with the design desk in El Paso.
Although hours will vary, the position includes a regular weekend shift where reporting will be required.
We are a seven-day paper with a strong digital presence. Digital posting, including social media, is part of the daily routine. The Daily Times is a MediaNews Group property and part of the Digital First Media team.
We offer a competitive salary, a benefits package that includes health/dental/optical plans, 401K and an opportunity for outstanding growth potential.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, journalism or related field.
- At least five years of experience at a weekly or daily newspaper, part of which should include editing responsibilities.
- Ability to manage reporters using strong organizational and communication skills.
- Photography experience is a plus.
- We need someone with strong reporting, writing and editing skills.
- Also required is a familiarity with website management and social media.
Email cover letter, resume, clips, links and other pertinent information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “business editor” in the subject line.