NerdWallet is looking for a proven manager who’s successfully led teams of reporters and helped develop their careers through coaching.
This is a key role on Content, NerdWallet’s largest team. You’ll help lead a team of 90 staff writers and editors that is continuing to grow.
We’re a profitable startup that launched in 2009. We now have about 400 employees companywide. Media outlets that use our coverage include Advance Digital, the Associated Press, CBS, Cox Media, Forbes, Gannett, Hearst, MarketWatch, Nasdaq, Scripps and Time.
We empower consumers to make smart decisions that best fit their lives. We’ve focused primarily on service journalism until now, but we’re about to launch investigative journalism focused on personal finance. We’ve hired a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist to lead that effort. Our profitability allows us to commit to and invest in quality content long term.
We’re looking for someone with journalism chops who’s demonstrated the ability to learn and grow. Someone who’s earned the respect of writers, editors and fellow managers. Someone who’s shown the ability to take ownership of work; someone with strong judgment; someone who knows how to prioritize, get buy-in and get things done. Someone who inspires.
You have terrific soft and hard skills. You believe that offering strong coaching and training helps journalists develop their careers. That’s work you enjoy doing, and you have results to show for it. You’re able to build rapport with colleagues of varying experience and backgrounds, from recent college graduates to veterans of traditional journalism.
Our team culture is highly collaborative. We’d like to add a strong leader to help our writers and editors reach their full potential. You’re able to identify potential areas of improvement and find creative, engaging ways to address those gaps. You work effectively with individuals and small groups, and you’re comfortable in a training environment. You’re also highly comfortable with adapting to change and taking constructive criticism. You want to keep improving and adding new skills.
We have a strong team of journalists. Our writers and editors are driven to constantly learn and improve. We purposely hire self-motivated people who work well with others.
Our staff writers and editors have worked at outlets such as ABC, Bloomberg, CNN, Consumer Reports, Dow Jones, the Los Angeles Times, MarketWatch, MSN Money, Reuters, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post. We also have staff writers who spent years as successful freelancers. What we have in common: We take initiative. We think strategically. We problem-solve effectively. We’re adaptable. We have a high bar. These are our editors.
Our business model:
How we protect editorial integrity:
Where you can make an impact:
- Help lead our Content team, collaborating with our writers, editors, other managers, as well as nonjournalists from across our company, including business, product, engineering and design colleagues.
- Work with minimal guidance, using strong judgment and delivering results.
- Train, develop and coach writers, copy editors, assigning editors and managers.
- Develop training materials and lead training sessions for writers and editors.
- Set up and manage ongoing training programs, tracking metrics and feedback.
- Act as a go-to resource for team members on personal and career growth.
- A record of five to 10 years at midsize to large outlets, helping media professionals improve — not only in their primary functions, but also in their ability to develop new skills and become better leaders.
- Strong communication and facilitation skills, with emotional intelligence and the ability to adjust to your audience.
- A coaching mindset that is adaptable to a classroom or a one-on-one setting. Formal coaching experience is a plus.
- The ability to develop materials and lead training for groups.
- The ability to manage programs; comfort with using metrics and data.
- The ability to juggle multiple projects, long-term and short-term.
- Flexibility and comfort with change.
What we offer:
- 100% paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employee and dependents
- 401(k) with company match
- Stock options
- Generous, flexible vacation
- An annual career development allowance
- Catered lunches daily, free dinner and a kitchen stocked full of snacks
- In-office fitness classes
- Paid commuter benefits
- Friday happy hours
- A pet-friendly office
To apply, go here.