MSNBC Digital is looking for an editor to join its platforms team in New York or Washington DC. The editor will distribute MSNBC’s best columns, blogs and video across its social channels, write desktop alerts, and curate the homepage.
The ideal candidate is a sharp writer with an audience-focused approach and a knack for finding the hook into a story. They’ll know how to write for different platforms, and understand what compels audiences to read stories and watch video across mobile and social platforms.
When they’re not posting to social or curating the homepage, the editor will develop creative and original ways to promote MSNBC’s journalism across social media, with the goal of deeply engaging and growing audiences and promoting special, live, and longform programming.
The position requires the ability to make decisions under pressure, to change footing quickly, and multitask when news breaks. Experience in breaking news is preferred, but not a must. Candidates need to have immaculate attention to detail and understand the importance of delivering an engaging and diverse mix of content on different platforms. They also need a breadth of knowledge about national and international stories, an ability to copy edit, and experience with publishing in a content management system.
Candidates should have excellent communication skills and be comfortable working in a hybrid WFH environment and juggling the large volume of communication that comes with Slack, email and Teams meetings. Experience and comfort working independently is a must.
This is a full-time, 6-month contract, working afternoon/evenings. The position is based in New York City or Washington DC.
- Use flawless news judgment to identify columns, blogs and on-air moments to promote on MSNBC’s social platforms and homepage.
- Write compelling and accurate headlines, alerts and social copy that engage audiences and comply with MSNBC’s style and standards.
- Clip, edit, and post native social video
- Work with art and photo team to create original social graphics.
- Work with show teams to expedite video clips and distribute them across MSNBC’s social platforms
- Monitor real-time analytics to inform social strategy.
Desired qualifications and characteristics:
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent and comparable work experience.
- 2+ years’ experience working as a homepage editor or social media editor, preferably with experience at a major news organization.
- A broad knowledge of current affairs, including politics, race, social justice, international affairs, pop culture and sports.
- Experience editing video, graphics or images for social platforms.
- Must be comfortable working independently and in a collaborative but demanding environment under tight deadlines.
- An awareness of NBC News and MSNBC personalities and brands.
For more information click here.