NBC Bay Area in San Jose, CA, is looking for a freelance digital news editor to create and curate news content for our digital platforms. The digital news editor works closely with broadcast, assignment desk and digital news teams. This is primarily a writing position. You know you’re a good fit if you possess great people skills, excellent reporting, writing and editing skills, as well as a passion for multi-platform journalism.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
NBCUniversal owns and operates over 20 different businesses across 30 countries including a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks and a premium ad-supported streaming service.
Here you can be your authentic self. As a company uniquely positioned to educate, entertain and empower through our platforms, Comcast NBCUniversal stands for including everyone. We strive to foster a diverse and inclusive culture where our employees feel supported, embraced and heard. We believe that our workforce should represent the communities we live in, so that together, we can continue to create and deliver content that reflects the current and ever-changing face of the world.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for someone who can support our digital desk team. Experience with content management systems, covering both breaking news and feature stories, and using social media as both a reporting and engagement tool are important.
This is a temporary 3-6 month position and a good entry level opportunity for someone looking to apply for a full-time staff position at a later time. This position requires weekend and evening work in person at our San Jose location.
- Report and write original stories for NBCBayArea.com
- Report and disseminate breaking and developing news quickly through website updates, push alerts, social posts and newsletters
- Use Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and other social media tools to report and to engage our audience
- Edit broadcast video for digital presentation
- Edit and enrich broadcast scripts for digital platform publication
- Support our sister station Telemundo48.com as needed
- Minimum 1 year experience working in online news
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism or related field or equivalent experience
- Must be willing to work late nights, overnights, weekends and/or holidays
- Solid news judgment and news and headline writing skills required; strong proficiency in AP writing style
- Experience working with a digital Content Management System
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in graphics programs and video editing
- Good social media skills on multiple platforms and the ability to connect with that audience
- Desire to work in a creative, demanding, highly collaborative and competitive environment
- Ability to multi-task and meet constant tight deadlines
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience working with TV newsroom software, show rundowns and scripts is a plus
- Experience or familiarity working with livestreams and technical troubleshooting a plus
- Basic understanding and demonstration of solid editorial judgment and journalistic ethics, including a current knowledge of laws of libel, slander and applicable FCC rules and regulations
- Experience in San Francisco Bay Area market and familiarity with Northern California audience and communities
- Good collaborative and interpersonal skills to communicate at all levels
- Ability to write in Spanish a plus
WHAT TO INCLUDE IN SUBMISSION
- Write a short introduction about yourself
- Include a paragraph highlighting your writing experience, relevant credentials and publication credits
- Attach links to your strongest work or portfolio, and online profile.
- Reports indicate that this opportunity will pay a range of: $50k- 90K
For more information, visit their website.