The Commerce Editor is responsible for executing and elevating National Geographic’s editorial commerce strategy, working with editorial, SEO, and marketing teams, as well as freelance writers, to pitch, assign, edit, and produce commerce articles based on Nat Geo’s mission, audience tastes, and evolving/seasonal search trends. This is a crucial newsroom role that requires the skills to understand and meet our business goals, while maintaining editorial integrity, independence, and brand identity.
- Pitches, assigns, edits, and produces commerce articles, using finely honed journalism skills to combine compelling and engaging storytelling with strategic use of affiliate links. Plans and maintains detailed content calendar, taking into account evolving and seasonal search trends, audience demand, and National Geographic’s topical priorities.
- Working closely with the Director of Digital Engagement, implements and elevates National Geographic’s editorial commerce strategy using data analytics and collaboration with marketing, editorial, and SEO teams to identify opportunities for growth.
- Stays abreast of latest industry trends, evolving SEO techniques and best practices to maintain content visibility and search engine ranking of digital commerce content.
- Finds, manages, and edits a selection of qualified freelance writers with experience writing commerce content and utilizing affiliate links.
- Regularly identifies promotional opportunities, in alignment with social, distribution, newsletter, marketing and sales teams, with the goal of growing audience and revenue.
- Communicates goals and performance metrics to business and editorial stakeholders, and the wider National Geographic Content team.
- Minimum 2 years of related experience editing and/or writing in media field, with portfolio of relevant work. (i.e. a journalism background in print, digital, etc.)
- Proofreading and research skills. Excellent grasp of English language grammar, syntax, and AP Style (or equivalent).
- Experience hiring freelancers, managing multiple projects simultaneously, and working under deadline pressure. Knowledge of SEO techniques and best practices.
- Demonstrable knowledge of affiliate marketing and commerce journalism, with experience editing and/or writing commerce content, using affiliate links, and analyzing affiliate data.
- The ability to read, analyze, and interpret data, drawing conclusions to identify opportunities for growth.
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams in a fast-paced environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field
For further details click here.