We are looking for an Opinion editor and writer at the Modesto Bee who can be part of McClatchy’s California opinion team that provides urgent, reported local and state commentary.
We want a digital-first journalist who can effect change, break news, and elevate diverse perspectives in our communities. Success in this position requires being at the center of those communities, leading relevant discussions of local and statewide issues and including a wide range of diverse political views in our opinion content with the aim of leading a civil community conversation about local public policy issues.
The opinion editor will write reported editorials representing The Bee’s views, as well as reported columns. The opinion editor will continually work to find ways to engage our audiences.
A strong understanding of how to grow and engage audiences on digital platforms is essential, as are basic social media and video skills. We expect timely editorials on breaking news, as well as reported editorials that break news. While editorial board members write for both online and print, a digital metabolism is required for this position.
What You’ll Bring:
- At least 3-5 years of reporting experience, preferably on local issues and/or government.
- Skill and versatility as a writer and editor, including the ability to shape opinion pieces in a way that best serves and engages the broadest possible audience.
- Strong writing skills, excellent news judgment and a demonstrated ability to “see the story” that is going to matter to readers.
- A zeal for understanding and using readership data to inform the editorial process.
- An interest in telling stories using a variety of media and enthusiasm for learning new skills and technologies.
- Comfort with a job that will be demanding, fast-paced and constantly evolving.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Must have valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance required (at least minimum insurance required for the state in which the employee works).
For further details click here.