Modern Healthcare seeks information tech reporter
Modern Healthcare, the preeminent source for healthcare business news, is seeking an experienced reporter to cover the health care information technology and digital innovation beat.
Modern Healthcare produces a weekly print magazine and daily news coverage that informs healthcare executives and policymakers in making decisions in an industry that comprises 18 percent of the U.S. economy. While daily news coverage is part of every reporter’s responsibility, we value in-depth, analytical reporting and narrative writing. Providing our readers context and clarity on news and trends are both key.
A successful candidate will break stories in the hotly competitive healthcare journalism space and serve our audience that includes executives at hospitals, insurers, physician groups as well as lobbyists, policymakers and legislators.
Objectives & Responsibilities
This reporter will cover one of the most exciting areas of healthcare: digital technology and innovation. The industry’s reaction to consumer demands to improve quality and access to care has created a new industry with endless solutions, new leadership roles and debate over how to best regulate emerging technologies.
Qualified applicants must have a deep interest in healthcare and technology and be able to tell stories that go beyond press releases about the latest products. They must be able to dig deeper into trends, policy and programs and analyze how technology is being used to change how healthcare is delivered and paid for in the U.S. They must also be able to take a critical look at where technology solutions are either falling short of their promise and/or creating unintended consequences.
This position reports, writes and produces for all Modern Healthcare print and digital publications and is expected to generate other forms of editorial content including but not limited to blog posts, podcasts, video, webcasts and social media. All Modern Healthcare reporters also work closely with our data unit to reveal trends and issues affecting the industry.
- A minimum of five years reporting experience
- B.A. in journalism or related field required
- Ability to meet deadlines and file clean, concise, and comprehensive copy on complex issues with a high degree of accuracy, balance and relatability
- Must be comfortable working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment and must be curious and able to generate enterprise feature ideas
- Must demonstrate an ability to mine legislation and regulatory filings for incisive stories
- Must have attention to detail, industry knowledge and the ability to interpret data for trend stories
- Ability to work with editors to develop story ideas, schedule them and deliver them on time while keeping in close touch with editors about news developments
- Minimum of three pieces of unedited work
- Knowledge of healthcare news and data a plus
- Graduate degree preferred
- Web publishing, multimedia and social media experience preferred
- Interest and skills in database journalism
- Experience covering regulatory agencies, Congress or healthcare policy issues
- Candidates most likely to excel in this position will be ones who are self-starters, motivated by excellence, competitive, curious and also enjoy being part of a team
To apply, go here.