Modern Healthcare seeks an insurance reporter
Modern Healthcare, the leading source for healthcare business news, is seeking an experienced reporter to cover the health insurance industry.
Health insurers are constantly looking for ways to become more efficient and competitive in covering patients. This beat focuses in part on how the health insurance industry is transforming within private, Medicare and Medicaid markets and how that affects the healthcare industry at large.
A Modern Healthcare story explains what news development or enterprise topic will mean for the business of healthcare and its ultimate effect on Americans. Our readership include industry executives, lawmakers and policy thought leaders, and our reporting holds those organizations accountable for their business decisions.
Objectives and Responsibilities
The reporter will be responsible for daily news coverage and enterprise reporting for our website and e-newsletters, as well as features for our magazine. A successful candidate will break news in the hotly competitive insurance coverage space and develop deep sources within industry and policy circles. They must be able to dig into trends, data, policies and programs that change how healthcare is paid for, and be able to critically look at where these plans fall short of their promise or create unintended consequences. The best candidate will enjoy working in a newsroom that’s performance-driven, collaborative and fun.
Modern Healthcare reporters are curious, take initiative and enjoy being part of a highly motivated editorial team. This candidate would have the opportunity to collaborate with other reporters in Chicago and Washington, DC, as well as data and graphics team members. The ideal candidate will have experience covering the insurance industry and a deep interest in healthcare.
• A minimum of five years reporting experience
• B.A. in journalism or related field
• Consistent ability to meet deadlines and file clean, concise and comprehensive copy on complex issues with a high degree of accuracy, balance and relatability
• Must be comfortable working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
• Able to cover breaking news and generate enterprise feature ideas
• Must demonstrate an ability to cover regulatory and financial filings with an attention to detail
• Ability to work with editors to develop story ideas, and manage multiple daily and long-term feature deadlines
• Interest in data and multimedia reporting. Modern Healthcare has a data team and regularly includes data, graphics, video or podcast material with its reporting
• Experience covering regulatory agencies, legislative bodies or healthcare policy issues
The position would start as remote from home, but preferably work from either our Chicago or D.C. offices in the future. We will also consider eligible candidates outside our bureaus for permanent, home-based employment.
To apply, go here.