Modern Healthcare, the authoritative source for health care business news, is seeking a full-time, Washington, D.C.-based correspondent to cover the health care policy and regulatory beat. Federal and state Medicare and Medicaid programs are a major coverage area for this position.
This position will be expected to track policy, rules and regulations created by federal agencies and commissions that allocate funding to the nation’s health care organizations. The reporter will be expected to generate story ideas and analysis for a sophisticated audience that includes industry executives — hospitals, insurers, physician groups and more; lobbying groups, policymakers and legislators. The reporter will be expected to develop sources in regulatory agencies, and connections on and off Capitol Hill, including trade groups and health care lobbying associations.
The reporter will also work closely with our data unit to reveal trends and issues affecting the industry.
- In journalism or related field
- A minimum of five years of health care business reporting experience
- Ability to meet deadlines and file clean, concise, and comprehensive copy on complex issues with a high degree of accuracy, balance and relatability
- Must be comfortable working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment and must be curious and able to generate enterprise feature ideas
- Must have attention to detail, industry knowledge and the ability to interpret data for trend stories
- Ability to work with editors to develop story ideas, schedule them and deliver them on time while keeping in close touch with editors about developments on news beat
- Ability to digest large amounts of information, “see the story,” and execute with urgency as needed
- Must demonstrate an ability to mine legislation and regulatory filings for incisive stories
- Ability to work remotely from your Washington, DC home-based office while keeping your editors and colleagues informed of your assignments and developments
- Minimum of three recent clips
- Graduate degree preferred, but not necessary
- Experience covering Capital Hill
- Experience covering regulatory agencies, Congress or healthcare policy issues
- Experience developing sources in regulatory agencies, on and off Capitol Hill, including trade groups and health care lobbying associations
- Candidates most likely to excel in this position will be ones who are self-started, motivated by excellence, competitive, curious, and also enjoy being part of a team
- Web publishing, multimedia and social media experience
- Interest and skills in database journalism
To apply, go here.