We are looking for a Senior Reporter who is hungry to take on riveting stories that will be revelatory for our audience. The goal will be to deliver important reporting on multiple platforms that makes change for the good. You need to be willing to do quick-strike investigations and manage long-term projects, including podcasts, documentaries, and various digital formats for the APM Reports team. Your reporting should follow our mission of striving to “raise awareness, trigger debate and prompt positive change via non-partisan, independent investigative and documentary journalism” on a regional and national scale.
We’re looking for someone who has experience with accountability journalism and can transform data-driven stories into a narrative form. The Sr. Reporter in this role will combine sound-rich audio journalism with long-form digital content.
The ideal candidate will work well with others. We value candidates who can respectfully guide coverage – discuss and debate a project within our tight-knit team and can collaborate with journalists who work within and outside of our organization.
- Mastery of information development through the maintenance of a wide variety of sources including public records research and analysis.
- Develops ideas and proposals, as well as write/edit/manage investigations on a regional and national level on multiple platforms.
- Knows how to find compelling characters and gripping sound for on-demand audio storytelling.
- Have an ability to work across platforms and can think creatively to deliver high impact stories.
- May serve as a lead on special projects, podcasts, investigations, or documentaries.
- May perform public outreach and presents at conferences and other events to highlight area of expertise.
- Seeks to uncover hidden facts, exhibits expertise in interviewing and is able to elicit information from difficult sources.
- Has an investigative mindset that seeks to reveal compelling stories to our audience.
- Can work on short-term investigations and long-term projects.
- Is a public records wizard that has the skills to file data requests, negotiate the release of records from unwilling custodians and can manage multiple requests from different jurisdictions.
- Executes advanced data analysis and statistics, and may implement complex visuals and interactives.
Required Education and Experience:
- 5 or more years of reporting or related-experience.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Demonstrated enterprise or investigative reporting and/or producing projects in both audio and digital formats.
- Ability to condense complex and detailed information into an easily understood format.
- Ability to deliver sophisticated and analytical reporting in collaboration with editor.
- Ability to manage multiple assignments in both short- and long-term duration on multiple platforms.
- Has professional on-air delivery.
- Has audio experience and is able to assemble, edit and mix stories.
- Can use public documents, research, and interviews to provide informative journalism to our audiences.
- Strong writing, reporting and interviewing skills.
- Competent in the use of recording and production equipment.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Has data journalism skills in formats like Excel, SQL or R.
- Has an understanding and expertise producing graphics for digital presentation.
Reporting to this Position:
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to manage some work outside of standard office hours as needed.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Required to move about in the community
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
Expected Compensation: $67,000 – 80,000 annually.
Application Deadline: July 19, 2023
For more information click here.