The Bay Area News Group has a rare opening for an Opinion Editor looking to help shape public policy in the region and the state. For the first time in 14 years, we are hiring for the team that produces the editorial pages of the Mercury News and the East Bay Times. As the Mercury News Opinion Editor, you would be jointly responsible with the East Bay Times editorial page content. This role requires strong knowledge of Silicon Valley and South Bay politics for the local content.
This is an opportunity to shape the debate with writing that shines. The current team has been recognized for some of California’s best editorial and column writing. We have received more than 20 awards since 2010 from the California News Publishers Association and Society of Professional Journalists’ Northern California chapter, and contributed to the East Bay Times coverage on the 2017 Pulitzer Prize for Breaking News Reporting.
What you will do:
- Editorial and column writing; selection and editing of local commentaries and syndicated op-eds; and backreading of letters to the editor
- Advocate for progressive social issues and fiscal responsibility; supporting, policy reform, government transparency, public employee pension reform, environmentally sound state water policy, utility company accountability and privacy respect from the tech industry
- Develop and implement a cohesive and forward-thinking editorial strategy for the opinion section. Identify key issues and trends impacting the region and propose timely and engaging topics for op-eds and editorials
- Foster strong relationships with local organizations, thought leaders, activists, and community members to ensure the opinion section is connected with the diverse interests and concerns of the Bay Area
- Serve a savvy, sophisticated audience that includes millions of online readers and hundreds of thousands of people who read our printed newspapers
- Adhere to the highest professional and ethical standards at all times and abide by the newspaper’s written ethics policy. Newsroom employees are on the front lines of protecting this newspaper’s credibility
What you will bring:
- 5+ years of reporting experience with a daily paper including opinions writing and editorial management responsibilities
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in journalism or related field
- Proven experience as an editor, preferable in opinion writing, politics, or a related field
- Strong opinion writing, reporting, and editing skills
- Excellent editing ability, including knowledge of AP style
- Thorough knowledge of current events, politics, and issues affecting the Bay Area
- Understanding of social media and knowledge of how to use it
- Knowledge of analytics and how to use them in digital decision making
Must be located in the South Bay Area with weekly in office expectations.
Along with your resume, please include a cover letter and 3-5 writing samples.
The annual salary range is $80,000-$100,000.
For more information click here.