We’re looking for an opinion writer to thoughtfully cover a thriving region in one of the most politically fascinating states in the country. Are you someone who can craft a must-read column, tell an engaging story, and wants to be a thoughtful voice in the community where you live? We want an opinion writer who can report and write a powerful editorial, but also one with an ear for storytelling and eye for the big and small things your community is buzzing about.
Our next opinion writer will:
- Report and write a regular column focused on local and regional issues, regularly breaking news and holding officials to account.
- Assist with editing and writing editorials.
The successful candidate will be a fresh voice and sharp thinker with a love for community-based reporting. They will be someone who embraces a digital-first focus that rewards quick, thoughtful writing and an eagerness to try new things.
The opinion writer will help readers and would-be readers understand the contribution local journalism can make to the health of a community. They will engage in respectful community building both online and by hosting community conversations with the end goal of growing support for our work.
This person will grow readership of our editorials by acting on available post-publication data. Skills and experience with video and/or podcasting are a plus. The position will report to the NC Opinion Editor and be based in Raleigh, but will also write for the Charlotte Observer.
What you’ll bring:
- At least 3-5 years of reporting experience, preferably on local issues and/or government.
- Strong editing skills and excellent news judgment.
- A zeal for understanding and using readership data to inform the editorial process.
- An interest in telling stories using a variety of media, and an enthusiasm for learning new skills and technologies.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including empathy (toward readers and staff) and a superior ear for tone.
- Comfort with a job that will be demanding, fast-paced and constantly evolving.
To apply, include a persuasive cover letter, your resume and four to six examples of your best work.
For more information click here.