McClatchy’s Publishing Center is a distributed team of journalists working with 29 news markets across the country. Our workforce is remote, and supports newsroom editors by focusing on the curation of syndicated content and the logistics of producing digital and printed editions so that McClatchy’s newsroom editors and reporters can focus on local reporting.
A publishing editor will craft headlines for different uses supporting eEditions, digital newsletters and print, as well as exercise judgment required for curating our print and digital products using McClatchy content and content from wire services and content partners.
A successful candidate will demonstrate an ability to fulfill roles in more than one core skill area (Quality control, content mapping, wire editing) as well as excellent news judgment, and can handle demands for multiple newsrooms. This position requires diplomacy, negotiating and communication skills. Trusted with the most important of our editorial content, sensitive stories and breaking news situations. May also be proficient navigating wires and handling wire content.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Write effective headlines and display type for specific platforms.
- Make decisions about story play for multiple markets.
- May be called upon to perform quality control or wire editing roles.
- Handle demands for multiple newsrooms and editors.
- Meet all product deadlines and standards for quality.
- Help identify and implement ways to improve operational efficiency.
- Manage content and workflow within the publishing center and partner newsrooms, and ensure that procedures are followed.
- Communicate with colleagues and customers using established digital channels.
- Other duties as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Ability to make edits in stories in order to fit the print usage, including headline and cutline writing, and making sensible trims to overset stories; demonstrate high-level design and/or editing skills.
- Ability to create and distribute story packages, including wire content and databases, for various platforms as needed.
- Strong news judgment.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills necessary to meet the requirements of multiple editors, publishers and departments at each news organization.
- Strong organizational and time management skills. Ability to multitask on deadline.
- Relied upon to troubleshoot problems and quickly implement solutions.
- Works under minimal or no supervision to complete design and/or editing duties.
For further details click here.